Microsoft is working on a new night mode for Xbox consoles. It allows Xbox owners to dim their screens, controller LED brightness, and even the Xbox power button. This is supposedly easier on the eyes and helps your brain prepare for sleep, although, I’ve been using the settings on my devices for years and haven’t found them to contribute to my sleep health.
How to Access
- Open the Guide menu by hitting the Xbox button on your controller.
- Navigate right to find the Settings Menu.
- Once inside, go down to Preferences.
- Select Night mode.
- Once you’ve activated Night Mode, you can set up a time schedule for when it turns on, and when it turns off.
- You can also set it up to adjust specifically at sunrise and sunset, based on the current time of year.
- You can adjust the amount of dimming, and the amount of filtering.
- You can set the console to block HDR, which nullifies those bright highlights.
- You can set it to switch between a dark theme and a light theme based on the time of day.
- You can set it to dim the lights on both your controller and your power button.
Microsoft is currently testing this with Xbox Insiders, so expect to see it filter through the various testing channels in the coming weeks before arriving on all Xbox consoles soon.