WhatsApp Pay is a payments service built on the unified payments platform (UPI). It competes with the likes of Google Pay, PhonePe, Paytm and others. WhatsApp for Android is reportedly getting a new payment shortcut. WhatsApp is rolling out a new payments button in the text box, which should bring more focus to the payments feature that has been around for a long time now. The new icon had appeared during the beta tests.
The payments button is available for Indian users with WhatsApp beta for Android 2.27.17 and later. It is still under development for iOS and will be made available later. As part of the new program, the Facebook-owned company released beta versions of WhatsApp for Windows and macOS devices to allow users to test out upcoming features. However, each beta version must be installed manually from the WhatsApp site.
Alongside testing upcoming features, WhatsApp users on the beta version can give feedback to the company if they face any issues on a developing feature. It can be done by going to WhatsApp Desktop Settings > Contact Us.
How to register for WhatsApp Pay
To begin, make sure you are on the latest version of WhatsApp. Check the play store
- Open WhatsApp and click on the three dots menu at the top right corner.
- Now, click on ‘Payments’.
- Then, click on ‘Add payment method’.
- Now, select the bank that you have an account in.
- WhatsApp will then verify your phone number and show your bank account.
- Click on your bank account and then, click on ‘Done’.
- You will now be able to see your UPI ID, your payment history and your linked bank accounts.
In its current phase, the experience is, however, limited to beta testing and is meant for users on the Web, macOS, Windows, and Portal devices.