Twitch is essentially a streaming platform, where people can broadcast themselves live playing video games, cooking, or do pretty much anything that can be filmed via a camera. Despite being centred around games, over the years, Twitch has evolved into other categories, where you can see people vlogging live, cooking, creating art, gambling, making music, singing, and much more, making the platform one of the most popular forms of online entertainment. The ‘Just Chatting’ section especially, is the one that gains the most traffic, even though, in most cases, it’s just the streamer casually sitting and talking to their viewers.
- Twitch introduced regional pricing, taking the cost down. Subscribing to someone through the browser will now cost you Rs 110, while on a mobile device you will have to pay Rs 120. Subscriptions also come with benefits such as ad-free viewing, a cool badge next to your name, and exclusive emotes that can be used all over the platform. You can also gift them to a specific viewer or dole them out randomly, in custom quantities to a community.
- Additionally, they are available in three tiers, where the latter two grant more emotes and a standout badge, and are meant for those who feel like tipping a streamer more money. Streamers also earn the dough through sponsorships, esports tournaments, affiliate links, and advertisements – which a lot of top streamers avoid running.
Twitch Prime / Prime Gaming
- Formerly known as Twitch Prime, Prime Gaming is a premium feature that grants bonus games, in-game content, and a free Twitch subscription every month.
- Users who own an Amazon Prime membership can connect it to their Twitch account and redeem their free channel subscription on any broadcaster they desire.
- It runs out every 30 days, after which, you can resubscribe or give it to some other streamer.
- If you don’t own a Prime account, you can still sign up for a 30-day free trial, after which you can cancel or choose to continue the service. Unfortunately, this feature is only available in the United States, and should soon expand into other countries.