The Reserve Bank of India governor Shaktikanta Das said that very soon the cardless cash withdrawals option will be made available to all banks and ATMs using the Unified Payment Interface (UPI). Currently, the facility is restricted to only a few banks.
Cardless ATM withdrawal using UPI: Process 1
- Step 1: The customer will need to enter details of the request at the ATM terminal
- Step 2: ATM will then generate a QR code
- Step 3: The customer then scans the QR code using the UPI app and approves the request
- Step 4: The ATM will then dispense the cash
Cardless ATM withdrawal using UPI: Process 2
- Step 1: First, users will need to enter their UPI ID and withdrawal amount at an ATM terminal
- Step 2: Users will then get a request on a UPI app
- Step 3: They will need to approve the transaction using the existing UPI app password
- Step 4: After successful authentication, cash will be dispensed at the ATM.
To start with, a cardless ATM withdrawal service will be available for select banks. Some of these banks include — State Bank of India (SBI), HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Punjab National Bank (PNB), and a few others.