Snapchat is now working on upgrading its Scan feature and putting them at the centre of its app.
- First off, Snapchat is making the Scan function more central, by placing it right on the main Camera screen of the app. That, ideally, will prompt more users to try out Scan, and see what the tool offers, which could help increase adoption and usage.
- Snap is also rolling out a new shopping experience, directly via Scan, which will provide specific product matches based on your scanned product image.
- Snap users will also be able to use Scan to shop via pre-captured images, not just new ones taken in the app.
- Snapchat is also rolling out its new Camera Shortcuts feature to all users.
- The new Scan shopping elements are being rolled out in stages across both iOS and Android from today, with Shopping from Memories planned for the coming months.
- The evolution of Scan goes hand in hand with the shift towards AR, and overlaying digital content onto your real-world view, and Snapchat notes that, eventually, its Scan elements will be integrated into a fully AR enabled spectacles experience.
- Snap’s working on that next stage for Spectacles, just as Facebook and others are developing their own AR wearable devices, which will move that interconnection between on and offline to another level entirely.
These new additions provide more functionality, and more purpose for its Scan options, which could make it a bigger element within the Snap experience.