Google Maps has further introduced a feature that will show the air quality index around your location. With air pollution on the rise in our country, Google Maps now allows you to keep a track on air quality index. The feature was previewed for the first time in 2021 and is currently available across many countries including US and India.
Steps to check air quality index by using Google Maps
- Open Google Maps on your Android or Apple smartphone
- Tap on the layers icon that is present below the search bar on the right side of the screen
- A wide variety of icons will appear on the screen. The air quality icon will appear on the bottom right corner of the screen. Click on the icon and you will find the air quality view. Google Map will zoom out in order to show the air quality across a broader area.
- In order to get particular results about your local area you can zoom into the Google Map.
- The air quality monitoring stations near your area appear as small bubbles which show the air quality score and corresponding color-coded dot.
- Clicking on the bubble will reveal additional information and guidance for outdoor activities. The time and date of the update can also be seen in the information.
The chart mentioned below gives a basic idea of the level of pollution and AQI.
|AQI Colour||Levels of Concern||Values of Index|
|Green||Good||0 to 50|
|Yellow||Moderate||51 to 100|
|Orange||Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups||101 to 150|
|Red||Unhealthy||151 to 200|
|Purple||Very Unhealthy||201 to 300|
|Maroon||Hazardous||301 and higher|